[consulting] project site based on nodes and workflow

Gregory Heller gregory at civicactions.com
Wed Apr 5 04:53:01 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

> On 4-Apr-06, at 8:55 PM, Laura Scott wrote:
>
>> This may seem like a silly question, but have you ruled out using the
>> project module?
>

>>> Got a new site coming up that is basically a project management site.
>>>
>>> What i want todo is have a node called "project" (flexinode
>>> perhaps), that has multiple
>>> (flexinode) nodes under it called "tasktypeA" "tasktypeB".
>
> There is also the under-construction case tracker module. CVS-only,
> see the README:
> http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/casetracker/README.txt?rev=1.3&view=markup
>

> But, you can roll your own by using CCK (not flexinode). It includes a
> node-to-node relation field. So, you could create a "project" content
> type and "task".
>
> But, especially for the fairly complex stuff that you want out of
> "real" project management, you probably want more control over custom
> views etc. than you can get out of a CCK plus Views module
> combo....although you can probably get pretty far.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Boris Mann
I too though immediately of cck.  the node relation function allows many
to one, b ut not one to many near as i can tell (so you can have many
nodes of type a that relates to a node of type b, but nodes of type a
cannot relate to many nodes of type b unless you create multiple node
relation field types, which doesn't seem "right")  It would seem to me
that node relation should be a function that is really abstracted out of
cck and becomes something separate, because while a cck node can relate
to any other kind of node, you can't relate a page or blog entry to a
cck node unless you add in another module (like relativity?).

After thinking all this though, i remembered the discussion from last
month about what is appropriate on this list and it was my recollection
that posts of the type "how do i code [something]" were really supposed
to be on the developer list and not on the consulting list.