[consulting] Drupal Primer Course

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Tue Apr 11 22:57:44 UTC 2006

I would be glad to contribute to the development of an outline and a series of
online courseware for getting up to speed with drupal. I think having a fixed focus
is a very good idea.

So given that you have people who are basically literate, what are the outcomes
of the class/courseware?

What can they do after the class that they could not do before the class?

Can you make a detailed list/answer to this?

Adrian Rossouw <adrian at bryght.com> writes:

 % Hey guys.
 %
 % Kieran suggested I post to this list about my plans.
 %
 % South Africa is still stuck in Web 0.8, with people still selling
 % front-page designed sites for thousands of dollars.
 %
 % Due to the bad exchange rate, and the general distrust of
 % international outsourcing,
 % and the backwards state of our web industry,  local clients are
 % completely unwilling
 % to pay people overseas to do any development, and the lack of
 % (quality?) Drupal developers
 % makes the Drupal industry here stillborn.
 %
 % I have several friends who are now doing freelance development, who are
 % either interested in, or have started doing Drupal development here
 % in South Africa.
 % All of these people I introduced / got interested in doing Drupal,
 % and most of them
 % just need a short introduction to get them up to speed.
 %
 % So in the interest of getting my friends into the fold and improving
 % the community,
 % I have decided I want to run a short primer course on Drupal, for people
 % who already know php / web development.
 %
 % At first I was planning to do it in an unofficial nature, but I
 % realised that it would make
 % more sense to actually build some courseware / tutorial documentation
 % out of this
 % process, and it would make teaching the subject far easier too.
 %
 % I have contacted my friend who is an RHCE /ICDL trainer, and has
 % written courseware
 % for several other courses. He has agreed to help me / us write the
 % courseware and format
 % the course well.
 %
 % I have also got the use of a training lab to teach the course in. And
 % although I only have about
 % 4 people interested in doing the course, I would consider going up to
 % a max of 8 people.
 %
 % What I would like to do, is build some courseware to put on
 % Drupal.org, and coordinate
 % with other people who would be interested in doing drupal training /
 % putting together
 % a primer course to train up their own developers.
 %
 % The tentative dates I have scheduled for the course is 19 to 23 June
 % 2006, or 22 to 26 June 2006.
 % I think that's more than enough time to get the necessary
 % documentation together. A lot of this
 % will be presenting the information already in the handbook in a
 % structured manner, with exercises
 % and the like.
 %
 % Remember, the goal is not to mint new programmers. The turning people
 % who already know
 % PHP / XHTML / CSS into Drupal developers.
 %
 % Does anyone have any input on this ? What should we be teaching
 % people getting into drupal?
 %
 % --
 % Adrian Rossouw