[consulting] Drupal Primer Course

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Wed Apr 12 03:57:33 UTC 2006

>> > One more thing: should we bother with 4.6 vs. 4.7? Or just go 4.7
>> > full speed? The downside here is that 4.6 may live on longer than
>> > we would like to, and covering it would breath more life into it. On
>> > the other hand ignoring it may not be realistic.
>>
>> This raises an interesting point. The success of Drupal over the past
>> year will mean that there will be much more demaned for support of
>> 4.6. In the context of a DrupalCamp type of lesson plan, 4.7 only
>> makes sense -- after all, it's geared towards new development, new
>> users, and/or new sites. But while 4.5 faded rather quickly, I
>> suspect 4.6 will linger much more, and depending upon future upgrade
>> paths, 4.7 could linger longer still beyond its own "expiration date."
>
> The API changes between 4.5 and 4.6 were not that much compared
> to the magnitude of 4.6 to 4.7.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I wish 4.6 to fade away quickly too, and full momentum
> to be behind 4.7 going forward.
>
> I think by focusing new development and training efforts on 4.7 we will
> give the message that this is the way going forward. The new "converts"
> will only know 4.7 this way.
>
> My fear, which may be exaggerated, is that 4.6 would continue to live
> on for a long time due to inertia and customers having investments in
> 4.6 sites and not wanting to go thru the expense and trauma of moving
> to it. This happened in other free software projects too, such as Apache
> 1.3 vs. Apache 2, or PHP 4.4 vs. PHP 5.x, ...etc.
>
> Let the "market" drive it, but let us also try to nudge it.

Khalid, I see your point, but this topic started due to Adrian wanting to
train a new breed to people to deal with Drupal. I can see the point that
there will be people around who will need things done with 4.6. So the
question then is, is this thing going to be comprehensive enough to go
through two different ways of dealings with forms and show all the other
intricasies as well. I think it might annoy a lot students if you're
trying to teach them old stuff, even if it's beneficial. I think perhaps
there can be an optional part of the course that would cater to the needs
of 4.6 people, but not required... and could be included with the package
as a reference. However, I still am not clear on the nature of how this
effort is going to proceed. Who is going to write the material, who is
going to edit it, and how will it be published. Will it only text, text
and pictures, text and screencasts or podcasts, etc. This work seems at
least, if done right, would make writing books for Drupal purposeless if
it were properly comprehensive.

Anyhow here's what I have put together quickly about the begining of such
a packet to create this Drupal Primer Course which I think should lead to
a Drupal Certified Engineer (DCE). It's runs on dokuwiki with the
respective formatting.

http://www.drupaltutorials.com/