[consulting] Customer Relationship Management software

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Wed Apr 12 17:31:54 UTC 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Jason Flatt wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 April 2006 10:05 am, Harry Slaughter wrote:
>>> I'm wondering what other folks are using, if anything. If you
>>> don't use
>>> CRM, what do you use?
>>
>> I appreciate the various efforts to create ERP/CRM/IMS type
>> modules for
>> Drupal. However, I have a need for a solution now. And I'm
>> assuming that
>> I'm not the only consultant who has trouble juggling clients, tasks,
>> billing, etc...
>>
>> So far, nobody has mentioned how they're dealing with this problem
>> *today*.
>
> I'm mostly using bits of paper in heaps, misplaced documents on my
> hard drive
> and dropping the ball all over the place.
>
>> Isn't anyone using CRM software? How do you organize people/tasks?
>
> No, and in fact, I'm waiting for other people to respond so that I
> can gleam
> wisdom myself.

A few months ago, I installed and configured CiviCRM for a client.
That was only version 1.2 ... now I think CiviCRM is going on 1.5.
Very fast development.

It integrates with Drupal, and has fairly robust database
functionality. It's designed primarily for campaigns -- they call it
a Constituent Relationship Manager -- but can be adapted.

We're still doing manual files and such, and we're really pushing it
here, so we're looking at options, too. CiviCRM might be the
solution. One downside is that, while it's being rapidly developed,
it's a bit tricky to install manually. (CivicSpace includes it in its
installer, though.) And upgrading looks to be tricky as well. The
upside is that the developers are very active, and very responsive on
their mailing list.

The downside is that it's still  very new, and could use some UI work
to help streamline workflow and lower the learning curve. If I
weren't so slammed right now, that's one area I'd be working on in
the project, because this promises to be a very useful tool for all
kinds of web applications.

Laura

Laura Scott
President