[consulting] OT: Keyboards and RSI

Benjamin Maurice pwgdarchive at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 17:48:03 UTC 2006

My experience makes me second all that Eric Farris wrote, especially the
point that the mouse is probably to blame for many RSI problems, even if you
feel it using the keyboard first.  And I'm certainly no health professional,
but amateurs have led the way in actually helping people with RSI (for
instance, all I've read recommends against carpal tunnel surgery).

I also want make clear that the 3M "mouse" is shaped like a joystick, but
you slide the whole thing around (very little movements, it's laser) on your
desk, and I've found it better than roller-ball mice, at least for me, but
only slightly.

The key point that the more you can avoid the mouse, the better, is worth
emphasizing, and I think it's very important for all software manufacturers
to ensure that there software is usable without a mouse and that this is well
documented.  (For instance, I can't remember if I ever figured out how to
get to the Menu in Mac OSX--- the File, Edit etc. menu where in Windows you
just press ALT and you're there.)

As web designers, that's a special challenge for us, but I'd love to see
Drupal lead the way in mouse-less navigation-- and keyboard shortcuts a la
Google Mail.

ben melançon
Agaric Design
http://agaricdesign.com/