[consulting] OT: Keyboards and RSI

Nick Lewis nick at nicklewis.org
Mon Aug 14 06:55:58 UTC 2006

Sarah Pullman wrote:
> A little yoga plug for all the geeks...
>
> I was doing some research to find out things I could incorporate into
> my teaching for people with RSI and other preliminary pains, and I
> came across this, which might be of some interest to those of you with
> an interest in alternative therapies and means of prevention and
> treatment.
>
> http://www.rxyoga.com/about.html
>
> "R.S.I.? Rx: Yoga! Yoga video/DVD program is created specifically for
> RSI (repetitive strain injury), promoting healing and injury
> prevention. This yoga program is helpful for carpal tunnel syndrome,
> tendonitis, and mild to moderate thoracic outlet syndrome. Treat your
> overuse injury to some gentle yoga therapy, or simply learn how to
> prevent future problems."
>
> My $0.02.
>
> Sarah
Don't forget "hot"/"cold" baths. The idea is to have one bucket that is
full of ICED water, the other is full of HOT water, but not so HOT that
you injure yourself (you crazy bastard....). Stick your hnads in  the
cold water for 30 seconds, and then the hot water for 30 seconds.  If
you're doing it right, both  buckets shoulds feel  nearly  unbearable by
second  20.  Repeat  3 times  before you begin work.

Also, there are stretches where you pull your wrist out away from your
body with your other hand, and wiggle it. You'll feel crunching from
buildup. Its pretty disgusting. However, I can proudly say that I've had
carpal tunnel, type nearly 4000 words to this day, and am learning a
Rachmaninoff etude in my off time. Carpal tunnel isn't what those who
want you to be dependent on them would like it to be.

My soapbox is over.

Thank you

Onward,
Nick Lewis