[consulting] Proper Collections Procedure

Trevor Twining email.me at trevortwining.info
Wed Aug 16 15:51:36 UTC 2006

Hello everyone, first time poster, lurking for a while.

I've had to do this a few times too, and I've found a few things that
have helped.

One way to get the money out of them and maintain good relations is to
propose you take the outstanding amount (possibly negotiating it down),
and because it's in dispute the two organizations donate it to a charity
of their choosing. The company actually pays the money out, and the two
of you get the joint publicity of presenting a cheque to an org, plus
you've turned something negative into something positive.

For all my clients I charge deployment separately from development. I
don't release any code until the development project is completely
signed off and paid for. Then I charge a nominal fee for deployment on
outside servers. That way I maintain control over the product until I am
compensated, and if they stiff me on deployment, I'm not out for the
entire project.

Hope this helps.