[consulting] Proper Collections Procedure

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Thu Aug 17 17:22:44 UTC 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Gary Feldman wrote:

> I disagree about the moral rights, unless I'm misinterpreting what
> you mean by it.  I'd say that once you've been paid for a work (and
> barring other mitigating factors), the customer has the moral right
> to it, whether or not you've taken the legal steps needed to assign
> those rights.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the convention is that the moral
rights belong to the creator.

In the design world, those rights extend to things like right to
attribution and right to the integrity of the work (against
distortion). How much legal weight they carry is another matter.

Related:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/property/library/moralprimer.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights
http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/002449.shtml