Guild (was Re: [consulting] Proper Collections Procedure)

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Aug 20 00:38:28 UTC 2006

Harry Slaughter wrote:

> (IMHO FWIW disclaimers here) I see the drupal community as having two
> general groups, the haves and the have nots :) those that have the
> experience, knowledge, voice, authority regarding drupal and the rest of
> us who (and maybe i'm only speaking for myself) feel left largely on
> their own. with a *lot* of persistence, patience (and financial
> resources) it definitely is possible to advance into the more desirable
> group.

This takes persistence and time, not neccessarily money. My only
expenses wrt Drupal were my own travel expenses to various Drupal
events. The time is needed to write patches, review patches, rewrite
patches, etc... (standard disclaimer: Yes, contribution in other areas
but code /is/ possible).

> i'm starting to see some of the benefits of meeting people and
> sticking around. but i have a suspicion (based mostly on what i see in
> IRC and in drupal forums) that we may be losing potential developers
> and/or drupal users simply because they have no idea what to do, who to
> contact, where to ask, what api call to make, how to apply their CSS
> skills to drupal, etc...

I think that most people who are serious about contributing to Drupal
figure it out pretty soon.

Oh, and I see no use for a Drupal guild of any kind. If I want to
cooperate others I do that per project, that's ok and leaves me enough
flexibility.

Cheers,
	Gerhard