[consulting] Proper Collections Procedure

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Sun Aug 20 06:16:58 UTC 2006

Chiming in:

I don't see how such a rating system really is all that useful for
consultants. I can just see it coming out as a bashing site where
disappointed clients go around bashing developers and vice versa. Even if
it's factual, I don't really understand what such a rating site that's
public buys us in terms that the cost is going to higher than the benefit.
The benefit is weeding out clients at the cost of having to defend your
reputation against the accusations of the said clients and I know how
often words fail to meet reality.

Potential clients currently have at their disposal the right to ask for
references and ask around about you -- I think that's plenty. I have not
really seen it as a major concern for clients to have such a site. All it
does, is get the way of your personal freedom to carry out your affairs as
your please.

As for legal defense fund, that makes sense to me as both a deterrant and
legal recourse in case the . I have personally been in situations where
such a fund would've been helpful.

Also I think that in terms of getting more business, it would make sense
to form more groupings of companies or groupings of consultants that share
marketing budgets and attract more clients, visit conventions, etc.
Getting clients who give a higher ROI is always preferable to your average
client who wants a bargain. However, there is an inherent conflict of
interest there as who gets which client, but I think it's resolvable if
the people if people remain faithful to each other.
(http://www.alistapart.com/articles/readerstayawhile)

I do need to write about business models centered around Drupal.

Best Regards,
Sami Khan
http://www.samikhan.org/topics/drupal