[consulting] Proper Collections Procedure

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sun Aug 20 17:45:27 UTC 2006

Michael Haggerty wrote:

> I am not one to name names and think a blacklist could put someone at risk
> of libel. But I can see the use for a developer's legal fund and would be

Let me just point out that it all depends on what method and format such a
"blacklist" takes.  As a small business owner, I definitely would find high
value in knowing which other potential clients have been nightmares for others
(not necessarily my competition, and maybe including my current other clients
and/or vendors, based on the FOAF idea).

I do believe the legal risk of libel can be well mitigated because this kind
of service is commonplace in other industries.  There are essentially 3 credit
reporting companies which virtually every creditor uses before extending
credit.  There are similar repositories of risk data for potential renters
available for landlords.  Likewise for life, health and auto insurance
companies.  Even corporations get rated by outside companies based on behavior
by folks like A.M. Best for selling bonds or otherwise seeking investment.

As long as the data collected is essentially quantitative and objective, there
is little risk of libel (IANAL).  If the client did not pay within 30 days,
for example, on bills sent every month for 18 months, then that is a simple
objective fact and hard to refute.  And just as with the credit bureaus, the
businesses so rated are provided with a formal means to correct their records.

Alternatively, there is always the opportunity to develop an open source
independent developers association of sorts which would facilitate getting to
know (socially) your competition was and how to contact them for the more
informal, off the record sorts of inquiries, e.g. at a trade meeting or social
hour, "Hey Bill, we are thinking of working with ABC Co.  What were your
experiences?"  "Don't do it, Carol.  They were impossible to work with and
getting paid was a hassle."  Carol rethinks working with ABC Co. or does so
only with great caution.

There's no reason why bad actors (the ABC Co.s out there) should get off
scot-free and go "unpunished" by the market place -- especially to the
detriment of the livelihoods of independent consultants.

One thing I learned running an ISP business:  some customers are not worth
having, even when they pay.  They cost far more to have than to get rid of.

Although one customer complaining is usually said to cost 4 to 7 good
customers complimenting in the world of Good Will and customer service, some
customers are so troublesome, it's cheaper to ask them to leave and have them
spread Bad Will, than try to keep them happy.  Especially if you have other
customers who truly "love" your service and will speak well of your company.
I've actually had good customers jump into arguments with bad customers to
tell the bad customers (and innocent bystanders) how wrong the bad customers
were.  It's nice when your customers defend your reputation for you.