[consulting] Re: Costs of forking

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Thu Feb 9 19:06:23 UTC 2006

Jeff Eaton wrote:
> Forking vs. Patching is NOT a development issue from a client's
> perspective. It's a support issue.

What he said.

Actually, it also reminded me of something I almost always
say to prospective clients, which almost always helps them
decide to buy from me.

"Look at all these modules, written by all these people.  You
won't be using many of them, but I want you to see just how
many people there are who understand how your new website
will work.

"My point is this.  You can have me build you something
from scratch, just for you.  Or you can buy something you're
not allowed to tinker with.  Either way, if I fall under
a bus tomorrow, or you decide in future you don't want me
anymore, you're in trouble.

"With this, I don't 'own' you.  And if I fall under a bus
tomorrow you can ask one of these other people to take
my place.  What I'm proposing makes you more secure in
the medium-to-long term."

Works every time.

jh