[consulting] CMS Properties

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Mon Feb 13 08:55:41 UTC 2006

Since I got back from Vancouver, I have been thinking about the whole idea
of where Drupal is going. Boris Mann from Bryght opened my eyes in terms of
geospotting users, some people from CivicActions got me thinking about the
merits of a ThingFinder, Jeff Robbins sucked me in with his AJAX talks.

Something I have been thinking about a lot more is how we prevent duplicate
development efforts within the community. Maybe the issue is that, as a
community, we don't have an end in mind outside personal initatives and
client projects. There is no roadmap for what needs to be done, partially
because everyone brings their own agenda to the project.

Content management systems are a subject of academia at this point, and
there is a lot of research that goes into choosing the right one. There's a
site devoted to comparing features in existing CMS system, and it's here:

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

The page about Drupal is here:

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix?func=viewDetail&listingId=1050

Maybe the goal of Drupal should not be to be all things to all people, but
there are probably some things we should be looking at as a community to
understand how to move forward. I would personally love drag and drop
functionality, which I assume is the ability to drag a text document into a
page and automatically turn it into content. Right, wrong or indifferent,
here's a list of what they say is missing or could be done better:

Kerberos Authentication	No
NIS Authentication	No
NTLM Authentication	No
Problem Notification	No