[consulting] Drupal Professions Shop Conference Call

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Feb 24 12:00:32 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 24 februari 2006 01:50, schreef Gerhard Killesreiter:
> I'd be inclined to admit that CSL has done a lot for Drupal awareness,
> but I don't think so the same is true for CivicActions.
>
> And, when push comes to shove, I still define "contributing to Drupal"
> by "# of core patches" of which I haven't seen any from CA. Or
> documentation or anything else.

Drupal is already standing in a split. At least, so I see it. It seems there
is a third gap appearing now.
 Users, Developers/consultants, Organisers.

That those end-users and developers have frictions is long known, but let us
please make sure that the latter two do not move apart.

Organisers that want to organise Drupals workforce is nice. esp if that means
higher productivity. But they should recognise that the primary goal *always*
is to scratch own itches. While groups selling Drupal, or marketing it, have
an itch that involves the whole shazam (from code via docs to the community
itself) the lone Contributor/consultant has itches that involve nothing like
guilds, shops or certificates. Most often they just want a certain piece of
code in. Or some module developed.

So we should not try to push anything too deep into the structure of our
village. Because the guilds, shops, etc, need those developers, but those
developers do not need that Organisaition (guilds, shops, etc) per-sé.

In short: getting structured is nice, but "enfcorcing" (I lack he proper
English to find the correct word)  it will only lead to people raising their
neck-hair and to friction. and thus to even less structure.

Bèr
 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc
 PGP berkessels at gmx.net