[consulting] Distributed Loads, Failover and Dynamic Content

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sat Jul 15 03:01:34 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Hugh Esco wrote:

> I'm working with folks who would like to physically distribute
> their server load so that they might be prepared for peak demand as
> well as to provide for fail-over as part of a disaster recovery plan.

You'll have to deploy different strategies for peak demand versus
disaster recovery.

For disaster recovery you can dedicate a server to slave
replication.  MySQL Lead Architect, Brian Aker,  and MySQL senior
performance engineer Peter Zaitev have been discussing in public.

Brian: http://krow.livejournal.com/434562.html
Peter: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/07/07/thoughts-on-
mysql-replication/

For peak load you'll want to do what Allie suggests which is multi-
master replication.

This is a good overview of MySQL replication.  But be aware, drupal
is not read versus write aware yet so typical slave configuration
won't work.

http://jcole.us/mysqluc/2006/MySQL%20UC%20-%20Replication%20for%
20Scaling%20and%20High%20Availability.pdf

There is a good article that details how to set auto increments
between master slaves offset by 10 so that you can achieve MySQL
master replication.  I can't find it right now but will do so and
post shortly.

Do you plan to have a lot of files as well?

Cheers,
Kieran