[consulting] Distributed Loads, Failover and Dynamic Content

Leigh leighm at linuxbandwagon.com
Mon Jul 17 02:41:13 UTC 2006

Its not super tricky but you gotta know your way around a couple of things

main reason we love it that we can make a new virtual server and host
new setups on there
without requiring new hardware (other than sometimes a little more RAM)

AND we can move entire _running_ virtual machines between different
servers if something
needs upgrading or something dies, and the failover machine picks up
from exactly the
same state it was sent from the main machine

(A) Get the hang of Xen (we use 3.0) and get drupal running on a
virtual machine

(B) Setup a spare/failover Xen machine

(C) If the server needs upgrading, use the xen commands to "send" the
virtual machine to
another hardware (your spare/failover Xen machine) and send back again
when the original
server is up

(D) underpants gnomes

(E) profit

Should start a drupal book/chapter on hosting methods