[consulting] List Mom Policies

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Thu Mar 16 03:22:21 UTC 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 3/15/06, John Sechrest <sechrest at jas.peak.org> wrote:
>
>> % I don't understand the "Pricing" issue?
>>
>> It is illegal to have different businesses talking to each other
>> setting prices in the US. If we have a list discussion
>> between consulting companies which ends up being a price setting
>> exercise, then we are in trouble.
>
> I even live in the US and have taken classes in US corporate law and
> I'm amazed that it applies to mailing lists.

What the posted guidelines said is nonsense.

Price fixing is a criminal offense in the US.

Talking about pricing, on the other hand, is
constitutionally-protected free speech.

Posting a set of list guidelines which utterly
fails to understand this distinction is a mistake.

[Meanwhile, asking "How much should I charge
for X?" is a dumb question for any list.  For
future reference, the answer is: 'Whatever the
client will pay you, minus whatever your
conscience prohibits.' ]

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 427 9033
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org