[consulting] Drupal server requirements

Lists listout at accidentaltechie.org
Tue Mar 28 08:13:24 UTC 2006

"Chris Johnson" wrote:

> There are quite a few "knobs and levers" that one can change in MySQL to tune
> its performance.
>
> So I would agree and reiterate Harry's point about not blindly converting to
> InnoDB without understanding a lot more about MySQL and one's system.
>
> Incidentally, one of the very first things I did to optimize my database
> performance was put MySQL on its own machine with a lot of RAM, instead of
> having it contend with a web server and/or other processes.

These suggestions, while certainly useful, are applicable only to a small
percentage of the CMS administrator population.

(Actually, the PHP optimizing tools for a MySQL db or table is applicable to
almost everyone. Using phpMyAdmin or one's hosting control panel to keep
databases and tables in solid working order is highly recommended and being
able to plug that in to a Drupal page is a great idea.)

By far the most common arrangement for organizations with respect to their
web site is that it is hosted by some virtual hosting company. That covers
nearly all of the web sites we encounter every day, with the exception of
large companies, very large organizations, and major internet portals.

In the typical Drupal user's world, where virtual hosting would be the norm,
then your suggestions are not particular applicable.

a) The user will not have access at the level needed to "tune" MySQL's
performance. Web hosts do not typically give hosted users access to that
kind of system process.

b) Increasing physical memory in a server is, again, not something that the
vast majority of CMS administrators will be able to do.

c) Setting up and running multiple physical servers, for mail, for SQL, for
whatever is not a typical hosted client option either.

Software always reaches a point where it must exclude certain physical
systems as being satisfactory to run the software.

Drupal, in my opinion, should struggle to maintain a core set of
functionality that will run _well_ and _quickly_ under the most common
virtual hosted arrangements.  I think it does this fairly well already,
actually.  CivicSpace nearly requires increased virtual (script) memory and
probably its own server(s).

If Drupal should grow to be a widely recognized and deployed tool, then it
will really need to remember that having physical access to a hosting server
is not a common reality, and suggestions geared toward improving its speed
and stability will need to keep this in mind.

One can not blame the horse if the wagon is over-loaded.

--
Gary