[consulting] Drupal server requirements

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Wed Mar 29 21:18:56 UTC 2006

Michael Haggerty wrote:

> If you want to do it entirely in MySQL, take a look at NDB clusters. There
> are limitations there in that your database pretty much needs to be memory
> resident

"Pretty much" ?   "Always" would be more accurate.

I'm somewhat baffled at the sudden rush of NDB references
since it's been out for all of a fortnight and hardly
anyone's got field results.

> The big thing to remember is most people using Drupal are NEVER going to run
> into race conditions in their database, and a clustering solution is
> inappropriate for about 99% of the Drupal sites out there.

Yes, but that wasn't our discussion.

We know that all the well-known massively-scaling
MySQL-PHP apps we're aware of go for the shared-nothing
trifecta.

I don't think it's responsible of me to not point out
that one of its key pillars is not (yet) ready in Drupal.

Meanwhile, as I tell anyone who asks me directly, the
first step is usually to throw memory at any performance
issues, the second is to physically seperate the DB from
the web server, and only when that stops working do we
get into clustering...

...by which time, I have no doubt, the read/write split
in Drupal will be solid and existent.

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 427 9033
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org