[consulting] Issue tracking for clients

Jenny Hsueh lists at ondemand-network.com
Wed Oct 25 16:23:11 UTC 2006

Jason Flatt wrote:

>>Why privately? Why not publicly, maybe in a separate thread?

I  was  thinking of creating a thread on drupal.org forum to get broader
input  but have not had the time to do so yet. if anyone has the desire
please feelfree,  I was thinking of a summary of this thread then 3
areas of needs from any freelancer's point of view:

1. initial project planning, tracking like most people using basecamp for
2. client trouble reporting/feedback system  (not all clients need this
so it is separated from #1)
3. internal issue tracking system (this can be the same as #2 but
depends on how  simple/sophisticate you need for #2&3)

they all have some common requirements
- you want  the client to use one set of tools, or a set of nicely
integrated tools thru out the project lifecycle.
- for clients - they are the center of the world, i.e. a project space
and on-going maintenance all they see is their stuff not some sort of
shared space with others.
- for us, a centralized place to get everything organized and tracked.

start with the simple requirements, then move on to more complicate such
as time tracking and billing/invoice etc.  we can integrate other OSS
but the idea is to have one set of integrated tool that is suitable for
the SME and easy to tweak if needs to.

Jenny