[consulting] Basic doc for consulting clients

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Fri Oct 27 23:36:28 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Barregren" <thomas at webbredaktoren.se>
To: "A list for Drupal consultants and Drupal service/hosting providers"
<consulting at drupal.org>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [consulting] Basic doc for consulting clients

> I'm willing to contribute to Rob's initiative in that direction.
> However, instead of starting off a new documentation effort, which I
> construe as Rob's thought, I would rather prefer to improve or
> supplement the current handbook somehow.

Good :)

>But to start with, I think it
> is better to work within a sandbox, and wait to formally publishing it
> on Drupal.org until it is judged ready. Why? I don't know if anyone else
> feels like me, but I think it is intimidating to publish something which
> for a fact will be scrutinized by many critical people. I therefore tend
> to withhold my work until I'm dam sure that I can stand for it. If more
> people feel like me, it will have a restraining influence on a
> collaborative effort such as writing a new customer oriented
> documentation. But if we work on a collaborative document clearly marked
> as a sandbox (or draft or pre-alpha or whatever), then I and probably
> many more would feel much easier to contribute in an early stage of
> witting, and thereby reducing the risk of duplicated effort and increase
> the chance of constructive criticism. Am I  talking through my hat?

I'm doing the same thing with the new user docs I'm writing. They're on my
site until they're good enough for Drupal.org.

> From one thing to another, it could be argued that this discussion
> should be held on the documentation mailing list instead of here. But I
> think that is a less good idea, at least for now, since we are talking
> about documentation for consultants' customers. If we move this
> discussion to the documentation mailing list, I'm afraid we will miss
> many valuable and well-informed opinions.

If you aren't willing to move to the doc list, at least cross-post there.
There is currently a major effort underway to redo the handbook and it would
be nice to have the doc team involved in this effort.

Michelle