[consulting] being a listed consultant

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Mon Apr 9 00:10:44 UTC 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Wire transfers are OK, but they're slow, expensive, and sometimes
> extremely difficult to set up internationally (mainly on the sender's
> side, depending on the particular country pair -- wires to China
> can be
> particularly tricky). Not every bank, and relatively few community
> financial institutions (ie, credit unions or sparkassen) are
> skilled in
> sending international wires. Whichever side needs to do currency
> exchange will usually get an unfavourable rate. Also, in the case
> that a
> transfer doesn't go through (the sender doesn't have their money
> anymore
> but the recipient doesn't have it either) -- which happens from
> time to
> time -- tracing is very time-consuming. While this is all great for
> the
> recipient, it can offload a lot of inconvenience and cost to the
> sender,
> which should concern anyone who cares about customer service.

Wire transfers are good for the recipient, but there are real costs
to the sender, as Evan notes.  I have to pay a $50 USD fee even for a
small amount of a few hundred dollars.  The thing I hate most about
wire transfers is the time.  It often takes two or three emails to
get the correct bank information I need from the recipient
(consultant), and then I have to make a special trip to the bank--so
I have a time cost of 30 minutes or more--much longer than paying by
credit card, check, or Paypal.

The bank I use has to fill out a very long form by hand. It is very
easy for the bank teller to make a one digit transcription error that
causes the transaction to fail.

If you want to keep your customers happy, keep in mind that wire
transfers are a lot of trouble for small transactions (under $1,000
USD).

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
President
Design Nine, Inc.

Design Nine provides visionary broadband architecture and engineering
services, telecommunications and broadband master planning, and
broadband project management.

Visit the Technology Futures blog for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia