[consulting] Credit card donation/payment gateways

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Apr 22 03:22:39 UTC 2007

The Golden Condor ! wrote:
> I have a client in Canada with users in Canada and US who uses Moneris
> (http://www.moneris.com/index.php). Their site is not easy to
> navigate, but they do offer different merchant solutions with clearly
> defined API and examples in many server-side languages. I've also
> heard others say good things about Moneris.

Moneris is good technically, however, i n admittedly superficial
research I found that it's more expensive than other solutions

Also, it's a partnership of two Canadian banks, BMO and RBC -- likely a
partnership of convenience because in Canada a bank can offer VISA or
Mastercard but not both (RBC is VISA and BMO is Mastercard). This is
probably a legacy of the old CHARGEX consortium.

The dealbreaker for us is that your client must be a BMO or RBC customer
to use Moneris. Though their advertising says otherwise -- I was looking
for a payment gateway for an NPO whose banking was done at a credit
union and Moneris refused to work with them.

- Evan