[consulting] Planning for future versions

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Aug 17 00:14:41 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Mehboob Alam <malam at thinkx.com> wrote:
> ... which brings up a good point.. when is a version considered
> "current".. As I am planning to use Bryght for most of my simpler
> sites.. I guess we are going to use whatever Bryght supports :)

We do maintain a Bryght Basic "bundle" in SVN that is kept up to date,
that is available to anyone via public SVN access --
https://svn.bryght.com/dev/wiki/PublicRepository

A bit of history:
* We rolled out with 4.5 (lots of patches, including patches we
maintained to make a bunch of modules multi site aware)
* We rolled over to 4.6 fairly quickly -- this was around so long, we
added / maintained several backports: full text feeds, free tagging,
etc.
* We hit a wall with 4.7. Lots of modules went away, massive form
changes, other stuff going on internally, lots of involvement with the
"long march" to get 4.7 out the door -- our hosted service skipped it,
we provided it for VPS customers only
* For D5, we were out within days, in part because install profiles
were in core, which was yet another custom piece we didn't have to
maintain anymore -- current backports maintained will be the watchdog
logging one, and there is some funky color module optimization for
alpha blending of logos
* I foresee D6 being another relatively easy transition

Of course, that is very different than individual sites / large web
app implementations. But in general, patching / backporting as needed
(and helping get into core / contrib those that you need), and upgrade
to next version when the cost / benefit is there.

--
Boris Mann
Office 604-682-2889