[consulting] Fwd: [development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

George D. DeMet demet at palantir.net
Thu Aug 30 20:40:43 UTC 2007

Based on my understanding of the GPL FAQ (for v3, but I don't think this
part has changed substantially since v2), I think that linking programs
through things like XML is okay, or at the very worst a "borderline"
case according to FSF, as long as it's not directly making function
calls into the GPL'd main program:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
> If a program released under the GPL uses plug-ins, what are the
> requirements for the licenses of a plug-in?
>
> It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. If the program
> uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate
> programs, so the license for the main program makes no requirements
> for them.
>
> If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function
> calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a
> single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main
> program and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released
> under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the
> terms of the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed.
>
> If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication
> between them is limited to invoking the `main' function of the plug-in
> with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case.

I don't know if it completely addresses Liam's first question, but my
understanding is that GPL'd programs are allowed to run on non-GPL'd
operating systems and vice versa through the following special exception:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

Kevin Reynen wrote:

> [...]
>     repeat what you've already asked the FSF. My apologies in advance for
>     this. :)
>
>     > Why do these modules violate the GPL?
>     >
>     > 1) Under the FSF's accepted interpretation of the GPL, if a
>     module is
>     > integrating Drupal and another PHP script, by calling one's APIs
>     when
>     > triggered by the other for example, its purpose is to make a single
>     > unit of software out of those parts.
>     Then how is any GPL'd software allowed to run on Microsoft
>     Windows? How
>     are Opera, Adobe Flash or Java allowed to run on GNU/Linux?
>
>     > 2) If multiple programs are operating together and functioning
>     as one
>     > unit, all the pieces must be GPL'd.
>     I find this hard to believe. Take the vBulletin bridge for
>     example, you
>     want to build a site that uses Drupal for the CMS and vBulletin
>     for the
>     message board. Drupal distribute the CMS and the vBulletin bridge,
>     both
>     available under the GPL, this integrates with vBulletin on the Web
>     server.
>
>     Since the GPL is a copyright license it only comes into effect when
>     software is distributed. The end user is allowed to mix whatever
>     license
>     combinations they want. That is why I am running GNU/Linux with
>     Opera as
>     my browser, Java and Flash installed, and some proprietary Windows
>     software running under Wine.
>
>     If you mean that it's technically a breach of the GPL to _provide a
>     service_ integrating software with incompatible licenses then I
>     can see
>     that you may have a point. Although if accused of breaching the GPL in
>     this manner a good answer could be: 'the customer downloaded and
>     installed that piece of proprietary software, guvn'r.'
>
>     I don't believe the Drupal maintainers have done anything wrong,
>     they've
>     only distributed GPL'd software. I can't imagine it would do the
>     FSF's
>     public image any good to go after individual developers for
>     something so
>     trivial either. Most people would jump to BSD licenses faster than you
>     can say: 'Richard Stallman!'
>
>     This seems to be the same problem as graphics card vendors and their
>     binary drivers. They provide a binary (cross-platform) blob with some
>     GPL'd 'glue' software between the blob and the Linux kernel. This has
>     been argued--on both sides--but never really tested. As you
>     pointed out,
>     not taking any action will probably cause no problems.
>
>     By the way: I am not a lawyer. I have no experience with law, only a
>     vague understanding of the GPL. Am asking these questions as you
>     probably have the answers already and if not you can query the FSF

George D. DeMet
Palantir.net
1601 Simpson Street
Evanston IL 60201