[consulting] Case Tracker 4.7 released

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Jan 3 04:02:41 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, Khalid B <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> I am also playing with casetracker, CCK (for node types), and og (for
> separating
> each project/client).
>
> So far it is promising for sure, but can't give it more time in the upcoming
> weeks.

So....I looked at this (casetracker + OG), and there seem to be some
problems unless I am missing something. Let me walk through the recipe
and where I ran into issues (from memory, and the site is since
reconfigured):
* set OG settings to OG-enable project nodes (casetracker_basic or
whatever it's called)
* control cases (+ pages, stories, image, etc. etc. as needed) with OG
* create project == creating a group (no problem)
* subscribe users as needed to the group

Problem: associating a case with a project doesn't protect it -- you
need to select the project AND the "audience", which is a duplicate of
the projects (just the OG access control).

Problem (same with all OG, of course): need to manually subscribe all
people that need access to each project.

Ideally, OG enabled project nodes would have cases automagically
access controlled with the parent projects OG...blah...that was as
hard to say as it is to do.

I ended up implementing this with tac_lite and casetracker: both cases
and projects are assigned to role access categories, and it seems
simpler. When creating new projects or cases, visibility is tied to
one category which gives access to everyone that needs it in one fell
swoop. Also, you can have "more private" cases (e.g. your dev team can
post stuff in a customer project without exposing it) easier.

And, of course, there is email notification from both casetracker and OG.

Hope that provides some interesting feedback,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747