[consulting] ActiveCollab

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Fri Jan 5 06:26:55 UTC 2007

Khalid B wrote:

> From the screen shot, it seems to be competing with the likes of Base Camp
> with milestones, messages, ..etc.
>
> There is even a comparison between them here, which is pro-ActiveCollab:
> http://slackermanager.com/2006/07/basecamp-vs-activecollab.html
>
> That API seems like a very good thing. Someone wants it Drupalized
> already.
> http://www.activecollab.com/forums/topic/1130/
> <http://www.activecollab.com/forums/topic/1130/>
>
> Think of being able to create something like Basecamp within a Drupal
> framework!
>
> If someone else used ActiveCollab, can they please write what they
> liked/disliked about it?

I had one brief encounter with ActiveCollab with a client in the fall,
and have come back to it recently.
ActiveCollab IS an Open Source copy of BaseCamp - it was concieved as such.
So what I dislike about it is what I dislike about BaseCamp - and yet.
I dislike that BaseCamp loses track of everything within days of
starting a project. It is a mess - really.
I like that BaseCamp is simple though. The philosophy of 37signals which
made BaseCamp is - afaik - simplicity.
But as Einstein said "make it as simple as possible - but not simpler".
ActiveCollab added one functionality that I REALLY like - tagging!
It will probably make ActiveCollab last longer before it gives in - and
becomes a mess. So I guess I like ActiveCollab better.

I'd sure like a Drupal version of ActiveCollab - working the same way.
Or perhaps the two integrated into one system - where they can "share"
content and metadata.

best
/gunnar