[consulting] preview of a home page

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Jan 7 07:55:43 UTC 2007

Op zaterdag 6 januari 2007 16:59, schreef u:
> Though, I don't see what it has to do with having a separate admin
> interface. Nor do I understand what it has to do with "community
> plumbing".

It does not have anything to do with these specific issues. But with
the "attitude" that leads to such issues.

> We are just talking an additional selectable variable for
> content types at creation/edit instances, which is well integrated
> into the general workflow.

Drupals 'Attitude' is (or so it pretends to) mostly 'Don't enforce any
workflows as general'. The workflow you see in core is there because of three
reasons: 1) its too hard/much work to replace by a general system, 2) history
demands we have at least the stuff we used to have 3) often features are put
in by well-meaning, yet shortsighted developers, they see only their case and
forget about the big picture (Pluggable workflows etc).

> Besides, an "admin interface" can be had by
> selecting a different admin theme. Those GUIs are just a bunch of
> pretty pictures, and nice designs.

You are wrong here. An admin area is a concept. Its the sole concept of 'I
write you read'. Drupal 'community plumbing' has a concept where the role and
permission dicates your interface, NOT the place where you are.

> Though I guess what Bèr could have
> meant, was having forms that are more "usable", in the sense of
> usability that supports workflow.

No. I meant the underlying philosophy.

Take a car. And a truck.

If your corporate 'philosophy' is to transfer large amounts of goods from A to
B you can start with one car, then slowly increase untill you have five. Then
buy a truck.
If you are a travelling salesmen, a car will just do. No need for a truck.
ever.
If you do shopping for your hubby and two kids, a truck is a bit too much.
If you are a logistics manager at MackyD in charge of improving bulk-transfer
of potatoes from A to B, you are going for a truck right away, no need for
starting off with cars.

Drupal is the truck. Wordpress (or texpattern etc) the car. The car is
Simpler. You can drive a car. A Truck needs more investment.

Don't ever buy a truck just to do you shopping, a shoppingcart, a bycicle, or
a car was designed for that, so use it, don't use a truck because you think
you may need more shopping done in future. That is my point.

Bèr

--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl