[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Tom Friedhof tom at activelamp.com
Wed Jan 10 17:37:22 UTC 2007

I've been using GoDaddy for my dedicated servers for about a year
now.  I used Rackpace for about 4 years, but when I finally wanted to
upgrade my server the cost went from $175 a month to $600 a month.
Of course they also added a ton of user friendly features to manage
the server, but I didn't need that much support.  I researched for a
while and finally went to GoDaddy.  GoDaddy got my server up in a
day, and initially put Fedora on it.  When I realized it was an old
build of Fedora, I asked them to put RHEL on it, and they had me on a
new server within 24 hours.  I've got the basic package with RHEL
that cost $132 a month.  The packages start at $89 a month with
Fedora.  Support is very good, anytime I need something done, they're
on it right away.  They're a pretty big company so I don't think
they're going anywhere.  Only hoop I have to jump through is
backups.  You have to handle backups on your own, or GoDaddy needs to
fully manage the server to do the backups for you.  I needed root
access, so that wasn't an option for me.  I just rsync the
directories I need backed up through ssh to my office, and handle
backups to external media here.

Tom