[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 11 16:25:15 UTC 2007

Tom Friedhof wrote:
> You're point might be valid when using smaller companies like you
> mentioned with "really inexpensive and/or of unproven stability".
> That's why you should do the research before having one company
> manage the domains and the hosting.  GoDaddy net profits almost $12
> million a year[1].  I highly doubt they fall into the category that
> you're speaking off, especially if you compare to tucows, who have
> been around for a while, but have a higher burn rate so they only net
> $3 million a year[2].
Call me a child of Enron; I never automatically equate size with stability.
(This is not a specific comment about GoDaddy, which I have never dealt
with.)

> Also, if you have one company only handle the management of your
> domain, and they go belly up, how does your domain handle lookups?
> Root DNS servers won't know where the authoritative DNS servers are
> homed after the TTL expires.

That's still a critical point of failure, agreed. However, the important
issue here is that the "domain managers" are simply resellers or
franchisees of the TLD, which maintains the canonical information, has
ultimate responsibility and isn't going anywhere soon. If a domain
registrar fails, the parent TLD organization MUST be able to help deal
with that and they maintain redundant admin information.

Hosting services, OTOH, have no such hierarchy; when they're down
they're down.

- Evan