[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Jan 15 16:20:46 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Mark Shropshire <mdshrops at shropnet.com> wrote:
> I agree. The beauty of VPSs is that you can bring up various VPSs
> each with their own purpose if needed. 1 for web, 1 for db, 1 for
> LDAP, 1 for DNS, etc..  Make sure to request that each VPS runs on a
> different hardware node so they all don't go down if there is an issue.

I'm not sure the idea of putting the VPS on separate servers helps
improve uptime.  If the chance of a server going down is the same for
all servers, then sticking my web VPS on one physical machine and my
DB VPS on another physical machine would double the occurrences of
downtime in the case that my website is reliant on the DB (which is
99% true for Drupal sites - the 1% being boost or reverse-proxied
sites).  Right?

Or am I missing something?

Greg