[consulting] casetracker 5.x-1.1 released

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jan 16 21:24:12 UTC 2007

In all the discussion about the new release of casetracker -- and the
subsequent talk about how to notify people about new releases --
I seem to recall that there was some other piece of code that got
released over the weekend that was worthy of some attention.

Congrats to Dries and the core crew!

One comment: in all the talk about RSS and forums and so on, I think
that perhaps a useful but relatively low-tech tool has been overlooked
-- the announcement mailing list. It works here, and for a number of
other Drupal-internal purposes .. I hope that if a release alert
mechanism is developed, it includes a mailing list gateway for those who
like that way of being notified.

I note that within Drupal there seems to be a major distinction between
discussion mailing lists, which are centrally located, and announcement
lists (such as the newsletter and security alert lists) which are not.
Is there a conscious reason for that?

Why can't there simply be a list for regular release announcements just
as there are now for security-fix announcements? Personally, I don't
think that the traffic from a list that included new releases *and*
updates of core, modules, themes and translations would be overwhelming.

- Evan