[consulting] Is this list dead?

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:06:14 UTC 2007

He doesn't understand the correct business model which corresponds to the
current moment.
His proprietary modules will cost more than he will ever make, because the
cost of building "closed" software which does not benefit from community
input in all phases of the production cycle is huge.

Send him a bound copy of The Cathedral and the Bazaar.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/

Microsoft has just spent 20 billion dollars on a system no-one needs.
IBM is embracing the open source model in part, because it sees that
proprietary software is simply the wrong model.

That doesn't mean that certain parts of the system, which encapsulate his
business case, cannot remain "secret". But he should embrace a design which
abstracts as much funcionality out of his business case as possible, so that
this is kept to a minimum. He should separate all his business logic into
one or two proprietary but simple modules that do nothing but invoke other,
more complicated and open source modules which perform more generic
services.

That's the spirit.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar