[consulting] Is this list dead?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Tue Mar 20 16:27:38 UTC 2007

> No!
> What we want in the Drupal CVS is modules that have made people
> financially successful! Not a dustbin for failures.

Huh? This makes absolutely no sense at all. Save for the ecommerce,
Amazon, and ad modules, nothing in contrib is intended to make a
"financially successful" site. Sure, a wealth of features, provided by
contrib, certainly could draw a crowd, but it takes a lot more than a
few modules to convert that crowd into paying customers, or to earn a
revenue based on your popularity. This also presumes that the owner of a
site even /wants/ to make money.

  1) Install Drupal
  2) Install modules
  3) ???
  4) Profit

You're also seemingly contradicting yourself: you want all code open
sourced from the very start (without consideration of if it'll succeed
or fail, financially or not) but should closed code NOT make money,
you're indignant enough to not want it open sourced?

Code, incredible quality or not, has little effect on whether a site is
successful, either financially or popularly. A site is successful based
on the community that develops around it. Sure, if the site is unusable
due to bugs, a community can't form, but bugs have no qualms existing in
poor, rich, awesome, or crap code. Most MMORPG players (like Everquest,
Anarchy Online, World of Warcraft, etc.) stay around long after they're
bored with the game (read: site), solely because of the community
(guild, server, etc.) they belong to.

--
Morbus Iff ( a blivet is 11 pounds of manure in a 10 pound sack )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus