[consulting] Consulting directory

Jakob Persson jakob at jakob-persson.com
Wed Mar 21 00:44:57 UTC 2007

I advise against using sites like elance.com, there are very few
professionals on those sites and the fees elance charges for people to
bid on projects is outrageous and deters many people who possess expert
skills. Sites like it and getafreelancer.com and rentacoder.com have
become marketplaces for average designers living in countries of the
world where living costs are low, which is why the prices are what they
are. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it) the
quality is on level with the prices, so don't expect to find any experts
or reliable people here. They may be suiable for small isolated tasks
but people on these sites seldom possess the skills to pull something
major through.

Rob Barreca wrote:
> These are your best bets:
> http://drupal.org/drupal-services

The issue with this list is that you have to have contributed in order
to be listed. There are many professionals who do great work but haven't
committed code to Drupal. While I agree with the rule for listing, just
be aware that this list is not exhaustive and may not necessarily
include the best out there.

> http://drupal.org/forum/51

The forum is a pretty good place to reach developers and designers.
There's also http://www.drupalyellowpages.com/ that list people by country.

Your best chance of finding a pro is to request a proper brief and then
use your gut feeling to sort out the bad apples. The prices you get are
seldom the final price, the lowest quote may likely be the most
expensive, so it's a matter of weighing professionalism versus track
record and price.

Cheers,

Jakob

Drupal Designer and Developer