[consulting] GPL v3, contributions and effect on community

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Wed Mar 21 03:06:37 UTC 2007

> Dependent upon maybe too strong of a word, but keeping some key source
> code/custom module may introduce a competitive advantage that a business
> wants to exploit as long as possible.
>
> I just hope that if I write a custom module for a site, that someone
> can't come knocking on my door, demanding my source code just because it
> interacts with Drupal/MySQL and some other OS/GPL code base. My company
> has been operating under the assumption that you can't.

Under the current license there isn't a problem.  And from what I've
heard here, and from Dries' post it looks like Drupal will *not* close
the services loophole - so nothing will change for you (note that the
FSF specifically attempts to support the older versions of the license
and doesn't force an upgrade).