[consulting] What is "theme design" anyway?

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Mar 23 21:25:14 UTC 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Kevin Reynen wrote:

> Do you think that the reason a large number of free, quality themes
> don't exist is it is easier for people to sell those?  Why would a
> designer spend the time genericizing a theme to upload Drupal.org,
> when he/she can showcase it or their own site and sell it?

Why would a designer develop a theme to sell more than once? I
suppose there's some sort of market for that, but when you're talking
about the Drupal marketplace, how many people want to buy a design
like a pair of designer jeans?

I think the reason there aren't a large number of high quality themes
in Drupal contrib is because it's not easy, especially when you do it
right, with semantic CSS, minimal hacks, etc. Theming for Blogspot or
Wordpress is low-hanging fruit compared with theming for a CMS. IMHO.

Best,
Laura