[consulting] Re : Drupal Designs

Scott McLewin drupal at mclewin.com
Sat Mar 24 02:56:50 UTC 2007

Mehboob Alam wrote:
> Just a word, in case it missed someone else's eye.. there some
> spurious text at the bottom of the page "asdfasdf"

/me grimaces.

Oops. Lesson: don't check stuff in after falling asleep during a coding
run.  :)   That was debug cruft, luckily it only survived for a day as
it was pushed out last night and only on the front page.  *phew*

> Are you using some GeoIP-mapping function to detect where the user is
> based. My page came up with NY right-away - a pretty good trick.

Yes.  We've incorporated the free version of Maxmind's geoip database.
We describe folkjam.org as location aware.  We actually customize every
display based on where the user says they are (or where the lookup says
they are).  We've tried to make it have a very local feel no matter
where you come in from.  Deeper down any content with locative data is
filtered within a configurable radius of the visitor using
hook_db_rewrite_sql().  This has created a number of challenges with
search engine indexing, search.module indexing and caching that have
been pretty much addressed.  It's been quite fun.

Scott