[consulting] Proposal: Generate Revenue for the Drupal Association/Infrastructure Costs

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sun May 27 07:55:40 UTC 2007

Working with the Drupal Association, create a group of people with the
responsibility of launching and publicizing the Donor Recognition
Program. FWIW, I'd gladly volunteer to be part of this group as someone
who publicizes the program and solicits donations.

As an initial step, create a handbook section on d.o entitled "Donors
and Sponsors" -- This page can be mirrored on association.drupal.org.
This page will contain a breakdown of donors to the Drupal Association
by year. So, this year we'll have the 2007 page(s); next year we'll have
the 2008 page(s); etc. These pages will give a tiered breakdown by
amount of contribution (in euros? dollars? both?); ie, 0-300; 301-500;
501-750; 751-1000; etc. These pages will also contain a list of events
where Drupal had a presence, with names of sponsors/supporters of those
events.

These pages will be linked to off the front page of d.o, g.d.o, and
a.d.o, and off the footer of every page on d.o, g.d.o, and a.d.o.

Implementing the donor system would need to be coupled with more
extensive outreach to companies using Drupal, and consulting shops
providing Drupal-based solutions. In particular, a set of talking points
for approaching corporate donors could be prepared to help people make
the ask to companies using Drupal.

After 3 months (6 months? 12 months?) of the donor system, we can see
how the community has stepped up. If, at that point, more money is
needed to meet the needs of the community, then we can look to expand
our publicity and fundraising efforts in additional ways, and this could
include ads.

The one thing we'd need to really support the Donor Recognition Program
would be some type of software system -- maybe even something web-based
-- that would let us track constituents, contacts, geographical info,
and donation records. Man, that would be sweet! ;)

Cheers,

Bill

--
Bill Fitzgerald