[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Sean Effel sean at crushyou.net
Sun May 27 13:14:55 UTC 2007

On 5/27/07 2:10 AM, bill at funnymonkey.com hollered:

> We've been told by salespeople that we could bring in many millions of
> dollars by adding text ads but our users aren't asking us for text ads
> so we don't have them. Paid search can create a conflict of interest
> with site search. The better your site search is, the less need there is
> for paid search."
>
> I think there are some parallels between Craigslist and d.o --

I agree.  I just happened to have watched "24 Hours on Craigslist" last
night and heard them explain how they decided charge for posting certain
content.  They asked the community at large what they felt was an
appropriate way to monetize the CL site, took the feedback and ran with it.
I think the most important point they made was that many of the CL users
felt the paid ads were to be separated in better categories from the free
content, creatinga segmented community.

I'm behind this idea.  But I think this discussion should be larger than the
consultant listserv.  If I were in charge would post this to the front page
to be sure the widest slice of d.o users get the opportunity to weigh in.  I
imagine that we on this list have a particular perspective.

Great movie by the way, the special features were actually more revealing
about the CL organization, the movie itself was about the user base and
their shananigans. Rent it!

- -
Sean Effel
http://www.drupaltherapy.com