[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:15:56 UTC 2007

On 27 May 2007, at 20:15, Earnest Berry wrote:

> Laura Scott wrote:
>> A rough analogy: We live in Boulder, on the edge of mountains.
>> Everybody loves looking at the mountains. Think of all those
>> eyeballs.
>> Should Boulder sell billboard space on the mountainsides to cash
>> in on
>> all that attention? It sure would bring in a lot of cash. But does
>> that make Boulder a better place, in the end? It's a rough
>> analogy, to
>> be sure, and related more directly with aesthetic beauty than we're
>> talking here at d.o, but I hope it illustrates in a way how
>> commercial
>> exploitation of the Drupal commons runs the risk of diminishing the
>> value of the commons.

Note that the Drupal Association is a non-profit organization -- no
persons or companies are getting rich of this.  In contrary.

ALL the revenue will be invested in the Drupal project.  Thus,
accepting some advertiser deals would translate into benefits for the
Drupal community at large.  This could be faster page loads, better
redundancy for drupal.org, money to redesign or improve parts of
drupal.org, test infrastructure, better tools for translators/
developers/documentation writers, more Drupal events throughout the
world, etc.

It's a cost-benefit analysis.  The question we're asking is: (1) are
we willing to accept some advertising on the site in exchange for
such benefits and (2) if you're a potential advertiser, what would
you want and how much would you be willing to pay for it?