[consulting] SMTP/Mime Mail modules

David Norman davidn at cgraphics.com
Tue Nov 20 20:26:34 UTC 2007

Just FYI, I took over the Mail module last week and I'm switching it to
use Mime Mail instead of the activeMailLib.php include file it uses now.
I'm upgrading Mail 4.7 to 6.0 and I'm making some changes to Mime Mail
in the process.

Though I'm not the maintainer of Mime Mail, I'd like to hope the changes
will go through in a patch, in particular some changes that stepped on
the Mail module namespace.

Status update aside, it looks like Mime Mail is written so what you're
talking doing about shouldn't be a huge deal with a little bit of script
creation.

If you look at mimemail() in mimemail.module, 6/7 of of the code is to
pull the engine you want to use from a configuration variable and call
it to do the mailing, creating a hook_mailengine().

function clientsmtp_mailengine($op, $message) {
  [...]
}

should do the trick. Pull the info from $message, pass it to
smtp.module. That is, of course, all theory. I say theory because the
variable_get to mimemail_engine doesn't appear to actually get setup
anywhere, which means Mime Mail probably needs an advanced config
fieldset in its admin/settings/mimemail page that just hasn't been added
 (yet).