[consulting] Contract > Developer liable for bugs?

Michael Prasuhn mike at mikeyp.net
Thu Aug 7 06:20:48 UTC 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Jason Flatt wrote:
> On Wed Aug 6 2008 4:14:15 pm Michael Prasuhn wrote:
>> While I understand the potential issues due to the wording here, I
>> believe that being "responsible for damage" is just an statement, and
>> the you wouldn't have any liability (financial obligation) for the
>> damages, or loss, just correcting the code. So while with this
>> agreement you may be responsible for the damage or loss, your "legal,
>> bound obligation" is limited to fixing the code.
>>

> So, based on your, um, statements, it sounds like you would be
> willing to sign
> that agreement.

Except for the fact that you failed to quote my whole message where I
explained the, "Yes, but...." portion of the problem:

> Of course admitting to being responsible for damage or loss, could
> open the door for a civil case pretty easily. Hell it's practically
> an arrow saying, "in case of emergency, sue THIS PERSON."

So I don't think they could sue you for damages using *just* the
contract as the basis of the suit. They would need to build a civil
case on other evidence.

Thanks.

-Mike

Michael Prasuhn