[consulting] Screencast Comparing Usability of TinyMCE vs. "MarkSmarty" HTML helper

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Aug 13 20:35:37 UTC 2008

Gang of Drupal Consultants,

http://blip.tv/file/1170327

Clients often assume there will be a WYSIGWG. Most developers role their
eyes and groan.

The assumption is that "end users" care about usability and developers are
geeks.

Okay, I'm a geek too. But I've tried to get some perspective on this as an
educator (that was two careers ago), and I actually think the UI for
WYSIWYGs is less usable, typically, than the UI is for an HTML helper like
Marksmarty.

*So I made a screencast comparing the too* <http://blip.tv/file/1170327>. I
tried to get a bit funny, whether I succeeded is another matter. Also, I got
burned out with iMovie at the end the production values kind of tank at the
end.

It's 7 minutes. Leave a comment on Blip, or here. I'm curious as to what you
think of the screencast AND to know about whether you try to convince
clients to NOT use a WYSIWYG.

http://blip.tv/file/1170327

And of course, if you think the video might help you explain all this to
your clients, do indeed pass on the link.

Shai