[consulting] Patenting Drupal solutions

Liam McDermott liam at intermedia-online.com
Fri Dec 12 18:57:13 UTC 2008

Brett Evanson wrote:
> I'm working with a client that has asked me this question: "Is
> anything we are doing patentable?".
>
> What sort of things are patentable within open source development?
> What sort of issues are there with specific licenses? Where do I even
> go to start here?

The terse answer to this is: get a lawyer.

Most software developers are against software-idea patents, as they
hamper our ability to innovate. Therefore it's not likely you'll get
much help from this list; it's also dodgy ground to offer what may be
misconstrued as 'legal advice', because in some countries it's possible
to be held liable for it.

It also depends on where in the world you are. In the EU, the answer
might be 'no', in Canada 'maybe', and in the US 'probably not', etc.
This brings us around to what I said originally: get a lawyer.

Kind Regards,
Liam McDermott.