[consulting] What do you use for your email newsletters?

Tim Deeson timd at deeson.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 22:25:47 UTC 2008

Hi Michael

I think a drop down with various appropriately sized geographic areas
would be useful. Using a touring band as an example you would probably
be interested if they visited a neighbouring city as you may go over
and hook up with a friend or be willing to travel because of a more
convenient date etc. Or checkboxes showing cities of interest if a
really granular solution is required, this probably just wouldn't
scale very well to more than a single country's major cities.

I think an IP based solution could be unreliable, for example our
ISP's IPs all give a location a few hundred miles away at their NOC.
You would need to give users a way to override and then you would
still need an interface to allow them to choose area.

Mailchimp for example has an API so that you can integrate your own
custom forms with custom data collection or you can just use their
vanilla stuff to collect custom data. Either way you can then send to
appropriate splits on the list. If you wanted to collect, store and
manage in Drupal for elegance than a CSV export to the mailing system
might be best.

Cheers

Tim
www.deeson.co.uk/emedia/