[consulting] Drupal Certification

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Fri Aug 7 14:06:24 UTC 2009

I tend to think a Drupal certification would be a bad thing as well.

   1. Clients being what they are, if a certification becomes somewhat
      common, it will become much more difficult to get freelancing work
      without it.
   2. For that matter, every IT / tech recruiter posting a job
      description on any job sites will now require it.
   3. Certificate exam would need to be retaken every time a new version
      of Drupal comes out.
   4. Unless cost is very low, this is an added barrier to entry for
      small shops and freelancers.

What confuses me most, is what problem are we trying to solve with a
certificate program? A strong portfolio and contributions history tell
far more than any certification ever could. A certification says nothing
about a developers ability to manage a project, work ethic, or
creativity, all of which vastly impact the development process far more
than a set of Drupal-related trivia ever could.

In short, a certificate doesn't remove from the client the
responsibility to do their homework about a developers experience, and
meet with them.

Brian Vuyk