[consulting] seeking developer

kwilinskik at gmail.com kwilinskik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 03:08:57 UTC 2009

Sending this message via advice found here > http://drupal.org/node/51169
Apologies if this is inappropriate.

My wife is an educational consultant and she wants to implement a Site for
Teacher Networking, Resource Exchange, and Planning Tools. Her business
website, which I created, runs in drupal 6. I would like her to have the
site built within drupal because of some of my existing knowledge for
ongoing support and such that I might learn from the final product.
Implementing this site myself is beyond my capacity within a
reasonable/definable time frame and with my work schedule. After reviewing
the requirements, we would consider recommendations for non-drupal
solutions if thought to be more appropriate.

She has drafted numerous requirement documents and mockups that I have
compressed into a single zip file. The documents are in pdf format.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/387521/website_requirements.zip

She has a little knowledge of drupal, but her requirements are written from
the perspective of someone basically unfamiliar with its range of
capabilities other than the simple uses she has on her existing site which
is mostly an advertisement for her business.

Beyond the much more thorough documentation found in the above link, here
is a brief overview of the site:
A professional networking website for special education teachers in
Michigan. The purpose of the site is to allow teachers to
(1) Share: Share uploaded and website created information (eg unit plans,
assessment tools, research projects), recommend resources such as teaching
materials and other websites, and quickly search and browse for relevant
information and files on the site provided by other members. This is what
she calls "Community File Cabinet" and "Teacher Recommended Resources" in
her requirements.
(2) Discussion Board (The out of the box forums seem adequate)
(3) Unit Plan Builder: Application for special education teachers to build
specific unit plans and assessment tools that correlate to each of their
students ability vs mandated grade level content expectations. Unit plans
could be be managed online, could be printed, and could be shared. I'm
thinking this could be done with CCK and Views with jquery to improve the
UI. Not sure if that's the best approach or if custom code would be
necessary.
(4) Online Courses: Offer fee required courses (not necessarily curriculum
rich web based training), but a means to define courses that allow
assigning readings (books and links) and written assignments, collecting
them by due dates, performing assessments, assigning grades, engaging in
discussion (typical forum and possibly realtime), and listing course
achievements on user's website profile.

We would like to obtain quotes for the time and cost of developing this
site from potential candidates. Note, any custom development for the last
item could be contributed back to the Drupal project and potentially some
for the third item (depending on the scope of what is required vs
leveraging existing capability).
Thanks,
Korey