[consulting] Estimation-Blowout case-studies wanted

John Saward john at also.com.au
Sat Feb 21 02:34:42 UTC 2009

I'm currently very interested in people's experiences with
'estimation-blowout'.

In my experience, and discussions with Project Managers, Developers
and Clients I find that quite often the number of hours to actually
complete a Drupal project or task, is considerably more than the
number of hours estimated beforehand. This creates problems
(budgetary and otherwise) and stress and even resentments to all
involved whether the work is being performed on a
fixed-price-quotation, estimated or actual-hours basis.

I note the comment from the team who recently updated drupal.org from
5 to 6, "So while we crafted a fine plan for the upgrade, it took a
few more hours then originally planned." http://drupal.org/node/376454.

I'm understanding that the preparation and planning for the upgrade
was a mammoth task, when I read the report of the upgrade sprint, at
http://drupal.org/node/366562. Those at the sprint, and other
contributors, worked hard doing all that was humanly possible to
prepare and plan for the upgrade so that least downtime as possible
would be entailed.  One outcome of the sprint would have been an
estimation of how many hours would be required for the final push,
the working time that would necessarily entail site downtime. And now
I see that the actual upgrade was more intricate and time-consuming
than that prediction.

My thinking is that these guys are some of the most experienced
Drupal engineers around; and most familiar with the entire drupal.org
infrastructure. If they are unable to predict the hours beforehand,
even after going into 'fine planning' .... well.... who could have?

What does it take to accurately estimate a significant Drupal
project? Experience obviously, but it seems that is not always enough
in itself. Are there just always too many unknowns, too many
variables, too many 'what ifs' to be overlooked, in any
more-than-basic Drupal work?  Is accurate estimation for anything
other than highly-repetitive tasks.... verging on the impossible?

I'm interested in hearing views and experiences about this.

And also I'm interested to know if the upgrade team has a record of
hours predicted against actual hours taken, for the upgrade.

John