[consulting] Estimation-Blowout case-studies wanted

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Sat Feb 21 16:23:24 UTC 2009

What you mention below is the main reason I tend to go over my initial
hourly projections - it's impossible to know the specific problems you
will face implementing a lot of non-core functionality until you've done
it!

With my projects, I've taken to estimating the hours involved before
hand on paper. Then I add up to 50% more hours, depending on the scope
and complexity of the project. This usually brings me fairly close to
the hours a project ends up working out to. Of course, this approach
probably doesn't work for everyone; I think I have a bad habit of
estimating low and requiring such a safety margin. On the (fairly rare)
occasion where I come in a ways under what I quoted on, I will usually
implement a few 'extra' features that may have been tossed around with
the client, but put aside for various reasons.

As per Victor Cane's comments on specifications changes, my clients
usually sign to a set of specifications prior to the project beginning
building. Any major specification changes are negotiated as they come
up. That is, I will give the client an estimate on the extra cost and
schedule impacts that these changes will bring.

Brian